Frequently Asked Questions

  • Why do unmetered supplies have MPANs?

    Even though there is no physical meter for an unmetered supply, all electricity supplied from a distribution network is allocated an MPAN (Meter Point Administration Number).  With unmetered supplies there is a notional rather than physical meter.  The major difference is that one unmetered MPAN can cover multiple connection points.  On a new development this could be all the street lighting on the estate, or in the case of a Highway Authority it could be all the highway lighting throughout the county.
  • What do you mean by getting the MPAN registered?

    The UMSO will create the MPAN, issue an UMS Certificate and notify the customer that they should contact their chosen electricity supplier to agree contract terms for the unmetered electricity supply.  The energy supplier will then register the MPAN which formalises the unmetered electricity supply and allows electricity use..
  • What if there is a cable fault affecting unmetered equipment?

    If there is a fault with the unmetered equipment itself (e.g. lamp failed), then this should be resolved by the developer until adopted by the Highway Authority.  If the electricity supply has failed or there is immediate danger, then this should be reported as a fault.
  • What if the Highway Authority does not adopt some street furniture?

    As part of the planning process the Highway Authority and developer should have agreed who will adopt street furniture on a new development.  

    In some cases, a parish/community council or residents company may take on the responsibility for unmetered equipment in a park or similar location.  The contact details for the enduring organisation should be passed to the UMSO.
  • How is an EAC calculated?

    Information about how an EAC is calculated is defined within the BSCP520.